Shalom House Art Program | Arts & Culture
Shalom is a Hebrew word that means peace. It is also the name of an organization in Portland, Maine that has brought peace of mind to thousands of people affected by mental illness. Shalom House.
A man had watched his brother struggle with mental illness and move from one family member's home to another and then to mental hospitals and finally to shelters. His dream was to create a safe, caring place that would allow individuals like his brother to live within the community. That dream became a reality when Shalom House opened on High Street in 1972. Read more
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date
- South Portland police arrest N.Y. man on forgery charges
- Clean Water Bond could correct mistakes by investing in water quality improvements.
- Million Meals Maine feeds starving children
- A car struck a pedestrian in Scarborough
- The closure of a small section of Higgins Beach has ruffled some feathers in Scarborough.