Should I judge a book by its cover? | Arts & Culture
GoodReads notes, I started John Leland’s Hip: The History in March 2011. It’s been on my bedside table ever since; I finished it Monday night. First, that’s just plain clutter. Shameful. The gurus at Real Simple would not approve. In the last week I just plowed through to the end (mainly because I REALLY want to get back to Kenzie & Gennaro!) The history of “hip” is largely about African American culture, starting with 17th century slavery... READ MORE
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Financial gift to help Maine farmers flourish
- Environmentalists celebrate Clear Skies Ordinance
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.