No Longer a Safe Driver. What Should You Do? | Blogs
Even when it was becoming clear that my 83-year-0ld mother should no longer be driving because she seemed increasingly confused, I waffled. Her doctor said she should give it up because she was having memory problems and her reaction time was slower than normal. I still hesitated. It was the one thing she enjoyed more than anything else — she loved driving aimlessly through neighborhoods and down country roads. Every yard sale along the way beckoned to her and she would often return with a trunkful of treasures. Her car was her refuge, a place of solitude and an escape from worry and stress. I just hated to take that away from her. Every time I brought it up, she would get very upset and assure me that she was a good and careful driver. And so, I found myself simply warning her to be careful.
Until my friend Maureen Clancy told me about the accident that killed her father. Read more.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police respond to an underage drinking house party, Westbrook High School investigates.
- Chocolate bunnies ready to hop into Easter baskets
- Public weighs in on Westbrook outdoor concert proposal
- Westbrook hosts forum following student suspension controversy
- Westbrook school board member files claim against city