No Longer a Safe Driver. What Should You Do? | Blogs
Even when it was becoming clear that my 83-year-0ld mother should no longer be driving because she seemed increasingly confused, I waffled. Her doctor said she should give it up because she was having memory problems and her reaction time was slower than normal. I still hesitated. It was the one thing she enjoyed more than anything else — she loved driving aimlessly through neighborhoods and down country roads. Every yard sale along the way beckoned to her and she would often return with a trunkful of treasures. Her car was her refuge, a place of solitude and an escape from worry and stress. I just hated to take that away from her. Every time I brought it up, she would get very upset and assure me that she was a good and careful driver. And so, I found myself simply warning her to be careful.
Until my friend Maureen Clancy told me about the accident that killed her father. Read more.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date