Southwest Airlines on the way to PWM | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The arrival of Southwest Airlines in Portland is expected to give a boost to the number of travelers using the Portland International Jetport.
Paul Bradbury, airport director, said the terminal expansion was designed with a passenger increase in mind, and he believes Southwest will mean more passengers.
The sale of Airtran to Southwest was completed in May, and Southwest announced Friday it was eliminating Airtran service from Portland and 14 other cities.
In Portland, the service is being replaced by Southwest.
Bradbury says Southwest passengers are extremely loyal, and now they can fly from Portland instead of traveling to Boston or Manchester, N.H.
Southwest Airlines' website says the integration of Airtran to Southwest will occur during the first quarter of 2012.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families