26-teams compete in plane pulling competition for MS | News
Portland, ME (NEWS CENTER) -- They gathered at the Jetport. 26-teams, vying to be the fastest to pull a fedex 757 airplane 12-feet.
We're talking about 72-tons of aircraft.
For these teams there's a lot on the line.
Besides going for the win, there's prizes for team spirit, the slowest pull.
Perhaps the most important prize is amount of money raised.
All of that money goes towards helping the 3-thousand people in Maine suffering from multiple sclerosis and for national MS research efforts.
"Last year's winning team was 5-point-7 seconds so it's only 12-feet it's not a big pull, just hard and fast."
"I think it's the challenge, but I really think it's the trophies and the bragging rights. They can go a round and say they're the toughest team."
This year's event was expected to bring in 25-thousand dollars.
More than 19-thousand dollars was already turned in before the start of today's pull.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Student scientists tackling green crab conundrum.
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland
- Police looking for car involved in attempted burglary