Scarborough firefighter faces assault charge | News
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - A Scarborough firefighter has been charged with aggravated assault after he was found hiding near a woman lying beaten and unconscious on a Portland street.
Eric Gwaro, 28, was released on $10,000 bail following his arrest at about 3 a.m. Thursday.
Police responding to reports of a fight were directed by witnesses to where Gwaro was hiding.
He fled but was caught. Police say he told them he had been chasing the man who committed the assault.
Gwaro tells The Portland Press Herald that he did not assault the woman, who was hospitalized but is expected to survive.
Gwaro has worked as a call firefighter in Scarborough since May. He is also a bartender with a wife and two children.
The fire department has placed him on leave.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families