Airline eyes Fla. service to New England cities | News
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - A new airline is looking to create nonstop service from several New England airports to Florida after receiving certification from the Federal Aviation Administration.
Based in Portland, Maine, Elite Airways hopes to establish nonstop regional jet service between Portland International Jetport and Melbourne International Airport in Florida.
Bryan Glazer, a company spokesman, says the airline is also looking at service to Portsmouth, N.H., Worcester, Mass., and possibly upstate New York cities, including Niagara Falls and Plattsburgh.
Glazer said the goal is to link those cities with nonstop service to Melbourne, which he described as an alternative to busier airports in Orlando and Palm Beach. He says the service would start with 50-seat regional jets, and use bigger aircraft if there's demand.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Environmentalists celebrate Clear Skies Ordinance
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland