Fire at public housing building | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - The Portland Fire Department is investigating a fire at an apartment building early this morning.
They were called to Cumberland Park Place on Cumberland Avenue just after 3:30 this morning for an alarm sounding. That building houses elderly and disabled residents.
When firefighters entered the building they found smoke and fire in a second floor apartment.
Everyone inside the building was evacuated and the tenant of the apartment, who is on oxygen, was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Firefighters believe the apartment where the fire started may be inhabitable, because of water damage.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Student scientists tackling green crab conundrum.
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland
- Police looking for car involved in attempted burglary