Fire at public housing building | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - The Portland Fire Department is investigating a fire at an apartment building early this morning.
They were called to Cumberland Park Place on Cumberland Avenue just after 3:30 this morning for an alarm sounding. That building houses elderly and disabled residents.
When firefighters entered the building they found smoke and fire in a second floor apartment.
Everyone inside the building was evacuated and the tenant of the apartment, who is on oxygen, was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Firefighters believe the apartment where the fire started may be inhabitable, because of water damage.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date