Pirates trade hockey helmets for chef hats | News
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Portland Pirates hockey players are hanging up their skates and getting out their cooking pans for a four-hour college course on healthy cooking.
More than a dozen players from the American Hockey League team are taking the course Tuesday at Southern Maine Community College in South Portland, where they'll learn the basics from shopping for ingredients to cooking a meal.
They'll be teamed with SMCC culinary arts students during the meal preparation part of the course.
The goal is to improve the nutritional intake of the Pirates players while giving the younger players experience in cooking for themselves.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Financial gift to help Maine farmers flourish
- Environmentalists celebrate Clear Skies Ordinance
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.