2012 ties warmest year on record in Portland | News
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - The National Weather Service says 2012 is going into the record books.
Portland's average temperature for the year came in at 49.2 degrees, tying 2010 as the city's warmest year on record. Temperatures are recorded at the Portland International Jetport, where records have been logged since 1940.
The weather service says 2012 was highlighted by the second-warmest spring on record followed by the sixth-warmest summer. Nine out of the 12 months had above-normal temperatures.
Portland had more than 54 inches of precipitation for the year, more than 7 inches above normal.
The snowfall total came in at just shy of 63 inches, which was 1 inch above normal.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date
- South Portland police arrest N.Y. man on forgery charges
- Clean Water Bond could correct mistakes by investing in water quality improvements.
- Million Meals Maine feeds starving children
- A car struck a pedestrian in Scarborough
- The closure of a small section of Higgins Beach has ruffled some feathers in Scarborough.