2012 ties warmest year on record in Portland | News
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - The National Weather Service says 2012 is going into the record books.
Portland's average temperature for the year came in at 49.2 degrees, tying 2010 as the city's warmest year on record. Temperatures are recorded at the Portland International Jetport, where records have been logged since 1940.
The weather service says 2012 was highlighted by the second-warmest spring on record followed by the sixth-warmest summer. Nine out of the 12 months had above-normal temperatures.
Portland had more than 54 inches of precipitation for the year, more than 7 inches above normal.
The snowfall total came in at just shy of 63 inches, which was 1 inch above normal.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Environmentalists celebrate Clear Skies Ordinance
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland