Post offices on Maine islands to be part-time | News
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Members of Maine's congressional delegation say the U.S. Postal Service has agreed to designate seven island post offices as part-time, meaning they'll remain open at least six hours a day.
Democratic Reps. Mike Michaud and Chellie Pingree said Tuesday that the Postal Service is implementing a program to reduce hours at small post offices, and had proposed cutting back hours at island post offices in Maine to as few as two hours a day.
Rural post offices designated part-time are supposed to be at least 25 miles from the nearest post office, but Michaud and Pingree said that 25-mile criteria shouldn't apply to islands that are only accessible by ferry.
The Postal Service agreed and will allow the island post offices to stay open longer.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Student scientists tackling green crab conundrum.
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland
- Police looking for car involved in attempted burglary