Post offices on Maine islands to be part-time | News
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Members of Maine's congressional delegation say the U.S. Postal Service has agreed to designate seven island post offices as part-time, meaning they'll remain open at least six hours a day.
Democratic Reps. Mike Michaud and Chellie Pingree said Tuesday that the Postal Service is implementing a program to reduce hours at small post offices, and had proposed cutting back hours at island post offices in Maine to as few as two hours a day.
Rural post offices designated part-time are supposed to be at least 25 miles from the nearest post office, but Michaud and Pingree said that 25-mile criteria shouldn't apply to islands that are only accessible by ferry.
The Postal Service agreed and will allow the island post offices to stay open longer.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date