Blizzard 2013 damages Portland book shop | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - The powerful blizzard that tore through the Northeast caused unknown damage to a book shop in Portland.
In a post on their Facebook page, Longfellow Books says that a strong gust of wind broke one of the windows on their storefront. Cold air rushed in and froze the pipes, causing one to burst and spraying water over many of the books.
Store owners thanked firefighters who responded and carried out armloads of books.
The shop will remain closed indefinitely.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date
- South Portland police arrest N.Y. man on forgery charges
- Clean Water Bond could correct mistakes by investing in water quality improvements.
- Million Meals Maine feeds starving children
- A car struck a pedestrian in Scarborough
- The closure of a small section of Higgins Beach has ruffled some feathers in Scarborough.