Portland woman dies after being critically injured in fire | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A Portland woman has died at Boston hospital after she was badly burned during a fire at her home Sunday.
The State Fire Marshal's Office said 56-year-old Julia Ball died Friday morning. Fire investigators have determined the fire started in the living room at her home at 250 Burnside Ave. in Portland Sunday, most likely from smoking materials.
Ball attempted to put the fire out, and was found outside her house when the fire department first arrived on scene.
The fire broke out just before noon Sunday. A nearby fire hydrant had to be dug out while firefighters were attempting to control the flames, and the home sustained extensive damage.
Ball was the only person home at the time of the fire. She was initially taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland, and was subsequently flown by LifeFlight helicopter to a Boston hospital, where she died from her injuries Friday.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police respond to an underage drinking house party, Westbrook High School investigates.
- Chocolate bunnies ready to hop into Easter baskets
- Public weighs in on Westbrook outdoor concert proposal
- Westbrook hosts forum following student suspension controversy
- Westbrook school board member files claim against city