Inaugural poet to give reading in Portland | News
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - A Maine man who served as the inaugural poet at President Barack Obama's ceremonial swearing-in is giving a free poetry reading in Portland.
Richard Blanco will give a reading of his poems Tuesday night at sold-out Merrill Auditorium in Portland. Blanco gained national attention last month with his inaugural poem, "One Today," which paid homage to the American experience.
Blanco grew up as a Cuban exile in New York City and Miami, and moved to the western small Maine town of Bethel several years ago.
Before the poetry reading, Portland Mayor Michael Brennan will present Blanco with a key to the city at City Hall.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date