Fire closes down Portland dentist's office | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - A dentist's office in Portland is closed indefinitely following an overnight fire that badly damaged the first and second floor of the office building at 812 Stevens Avenue.
Doctor Barry Saltz, DDS, watched from the street as nearly 30 firefighters put out the fire and ventilated his office building of smoke for more than an hour. He remained optimistic as he told NEWS CENTER that his full schedule of appointments will all have to be cancelled for the time being.
Portland Fire Chief Jerome Lamoria says fortunately, the fire happened after-hours, so the building was empty. No firefighters were hurt in the incident either. He says the building structure is sound, but it will be an extensive rebuilding effort.
The second floor of the building was badly damaged by smoke. That floor is occupied by the computer consulting firm, MacSmith Inc.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Student scientists tackling green crab conundrum.
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland
- Police looking for car involved in attempted burglary