Body found under wharf; likely missing fisherman | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Divers from Portland and South Portland have recovered the body of a man under Custom House wharf.
Officials say the body has been tentatively identified as that of 66-year-old George Manning -- a fisherman who went missing Monday from the F/V Northstar.
Police say Manning was last seen at 4:30am Monday walking down Custom House Wharf toward the boat. Police say he hasn't been in contact with crew members, and his phone and wallet were found aboard the Northstar.
The body has been taken to the Maine State Medical Examiner's Office in Augusta for positive identification and an autopsy. Portland Police say no manner of death has been established.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland
- Police looking for car involved in attempted burglary