Body found under wharf; likely missing fisherman | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Divers from Portland and South Portland have recovered the body of a man under Custom House wharf.
Officials say the body has been tentatively identified as that of 66-year-old George Manning -- a fisherman who went missing Monday from the F/V Northstar.
Police say Manning was last seen at 4:30am Monday walking down Custom House Wharf toward the boat. Police say he hasn't been in contact with crew members, and his phone and wallet were found aboard the Northstar.
The body has been taken to the Maine State Medical Examiner's Office in Augusta for positive identification and an autopsy. Portland Police say no manner of death has been established.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date