Body found in Portland | News
PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Police are investigating a death near the railroad tracks behind St. John Street in Portland.
Two passers by were in the area of 508 St. John Street around 1:45 AM when they stumbled across the body. They flagged down police and police secured the scene.
The Medical Examiner's office and criminal investigation unit are investigating. Police say the body looked like it had been there for several weeks. And they say there is no known transient camp in the area.
Police haven't revealed the dead person's name, age, gender or whether the death is considered suspicious.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Environmentalists celebrate Clear Skies Ordinance
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland