The 13th Annual Coats & Toys for Kids Day: another grand success | News
On December 3, 2011, WCSH 6 and WLBZ 2 celebrated their Annual Coats & Toys for Kids Day. This one-day "pep rally" took place in locations statewide: Sanford with Pat Callaghan and Bruce Glasier, Portland with Cindy Williams and Rob Caldwell, Auburn with Kelly LaBrecque and Brian Yocono, Augusta with Kathleen Shannon and Bill Green, Bangor with Chris Facchini and Steve McKay, and Brunswick, Bath, and Rockland stations stops of the Maine Eastern Railroad with Don Carrigan and Togus the STORM CENTER Cat.
WCSH 6 (Portland) and WLBZ 2 (Bangor) broadcast live programs in the morning and at noon, inviting viewers to donate new and gently-used coats and new toys. Maine people came through: more than 6000 coats and thousands of toys are now available to warm children and make merrier holidays for families. Coat and toy distribution will be made possible by The Salvation Army.
With areas of Maine already experiencing wintry conditions and the holidays drawing near, the campaign is well underway. Coats & Toys for Kids is an annual holiday project collecting new and gently-used children's coats and new unwrapped toys for families in need. When the campaign ended last year, Mainers had generously donated more than 27,000 coats. But there is a great need every year, and this year is no different. Toys may be donated at any Shaw's or Hannaford Supermarkets until December 18. Coats can be donated until January 1.
Coats & Toys for Kids is a collaborative effort between Hannaford Supermarkets, Shaw's, Pratt Abbott Cleaners, the Maine Bankers Association, Pepsi Bottling Group, WLBZ 2, and WCSH 6, helping The Salvation Army continue to care for families in need in Maine.
Upcoming Events near Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- South Portland passes ordinance to block tar sands
- South Portland to make final tar sands vote
- Volunteers collect more than enough signatures needed to get legalized marijuana on the South Portland ballot in November.
- Crews break gas main in South Portland
- Police looking for car involved in attempted burglary