Seven hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at Portland hotel | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Seven hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at Portland hotel
News

PORTLAND (NEWS CENTER) -- Seven people were taken to Portland hospitals Friday afternoon after a carbon monoxide leak at the Residence Inn on Fore Street.

Portland Fire Chief Fred LaMontagne says they were called by a local hospital at 12:25 after two guests from the hotel showed up at the Emergency Room. A check of their bloodstream showed high levels of carbon monoxide.

The hotel was evacuated. LaMontagne says there were about 20 people total in the building at the time of the leak, including staff and residents.

LaMontagne says it appears the hotel's ventilation system backed up and leaked the deadly gas back into the hotel through the air intake system. Some rooms showed "extremely high levels of carbon monoxide", says La Montagne. The highest level firefighters recorded in the building was 500 parts per million. Ten parts per million is considered dangerous to humans.

Fire crews checked the bloodstream levels of all people in the the building and sent five more to the hospital as a result.

LaMontagne says everyone should be treated and released this afternoon, and the Residence Inn should be back open for business by Friday evening.

News

Portland Deals

Portland Businesses

Upcoming Events near Portland